Honey-Lemon Brussels Sprout Salad
February 27, 2011 § Leave a comment
When I discovered brussels sprouts, I fell in love with them. I did not grow up eating them, so I didn’t have the pleasure of hating them before loving them. We’ve always had a beautiful relationship. This is my favorite salad. I hope you enjoy eating this as much as I do!
Serving size: 1 meal or 2 side salads
Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1/2 pound of brussels sprouts (farmers market today $3/lb)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (Trader Joe’s)
- 3 tbsp toasted sliced almonds(farmers market today)
- Manchego cheese (sprinkle/shave desired amount)
Honey-Lemon vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 medium lemon juice (from my tree)
- lemon zest (used 1/4 the lemon from above)
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (Trader Joe’s)
- 2 tsp Apple Vinegar (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tbsp Orange Blossom Honey (farmers market)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
Comments: Use ingredients you have on hand. If you don’t have blueberries, use some dried fruit or strawberries. If you don’t have that cheese, I recommend using a bold flavored cheese.
Wash sprouts, cut stems, remove outer layer of leaves (discard), continue peeling leaves and keep for salad
Blanch leaves. Bring some water to a boil in a large saucepan.
Toss in leaves for one minute.
Drain immediately after and rinse with cold water. After running them through the cold water, drain leaves in colander. Leaves should look bright green.
In a bowl, zest the lemon and mix in all the dressing ingredients
put in the rest of the dressing ingredients and mix
In a large bowl, drizzle dressing over sprout leaves and toss lightly. Mix in the remaining salad ingredients (almonds, blueberries and cheese)